41st Annual Event scheduled for November 15, 2012 - noon
Thanks to everyone who participated in the event on Thursday. There were 105 runners, 56 registered walkers, 31 volunteers, 5 committee members and spectators.
The 41st Annual event is planned for Thursday, November 15, 2012.
- Event registration and shirt sales start at 11:45 am on the north side of the Klystron Gallery at Sector 30.
- The 3.8165 mile run starts at 12:05 sharp and the walkers follow the runners.
- The race starts on the south side of the gallery at Sector 30, goes around the end of the Klystron Gallery and finishes on the north side, near Sector 30.
- Walkers take a shorter (about 2 mile) course and are encouraged to attend. All walkers will be eligible to win raffle prizes.
Who can participate? Anyone with a SLAC ID.
- Those without a SLAC ID can participate if they have someone with a SLAC ID sponsor them - fill out the SLAC ID Request Form in advance. The SLAC employee and the visitor must present the form at the Sector 30 guard gate. Come early to give the guards some extra time to process your ID request.
Note: For 2012 you can register participation in the run/walk event as a physical activity Berry - use the self-report button.
2012 T-shirt Design
This year we are offering a white cotton Beefy-T or Hi-Tech (loose weave wicking fabric) shirt that commerates not only the 41st annual SLAC run but also the 50th Annivesary of SLAC.
|Front Pocket||Back Design|
A bit of history
Ken Moore won the first 3.8165 mile race in 1972 with a winning time of 24 minutes:24 seconds and Keith Bechtol is the record holder with a time of 19:07 (2008). The event has changed over the years. No one is quite sure when the walking event was added, but the course is 2 miles long and is not timed. Our largest participation (95 runners, 15 skaters, and 48 walkers) occurred on our 25th annual event in 1996. That year also featured new events: an inline skate race, boxed lunches, and for the first time walker participation was recorded. Keith Reynoslds won the first skate race with a time of 14:48 and Knut Skarpaas VIII holds the record with a time of 11:15.
Take a look at some old news coverage of the race - these are in PDF format.
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter December 1972
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, August 1973
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, September 1973
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, May 1974
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, September 1974
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, September 1975
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, October 1976
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, September 1977
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, January 1979
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, November 1980
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, January 1982
- SLAC Beam Line Newsletter, December 1989
- SLAC Beam Line Newletter, January 1989